Stone Walls - Dry Stacked & Mortared
We at Fikes Design LLC are one of the leading stone wall contractors in Penrose, NC. We have handled a significant number of projects for customers in and around Hendersonville, Asheville, Brevard, and Waynesville.
Regardless of what your requirement is, we can offer you the solutions you need and will provide custom mortared wall installations, built specifically for your setting. Take a look at some facts about stacked and mortared walls. This will help you make a more well-informed choice about the type of installation you want.
Dry Stacked Stone Walls
This type of construction has been used for centuries, and even civilizations such as the Incas used the dry stacked technique to build their walls and many of these structures are standing tall to this day. This simply goes to show exactly how resilient and long-lasting these installations are. These walls are:
- Constructed without using any mortar to bind the stones together
- This technique can be used in the construction of accent walls as well as retaining walls. The interlocking stones are stacked with a little batter (a backward/upward slope), and that lends the structure its strength.
- Since no mortar is used in their construction, they are able to flex and bend in tandem with the earth’s movement in the hotter months or when there is frost on the ground.
- This is why you don’t have to build a foundation for a dry stacked wall. All they need is a gravel base.
Mortared Stone Walls
In this type of construction, mortar is used to bind the stones together and:
- These walls have a stiff concrete base
- The wall itself has a certain amount of mortar in it
- It requires extra drainage & certain materials such as aggregates that aren’t required for stacked wall construction
- This wall is more expensive than a dry stacked wall due to the extra labor and mortar required in its construction
- It requires less maintenance than a dry stacked wall
Customized Garden Wall Design
The type of wall you choose to get installed will be dependent on the setting, the application, your personal preferences and budget. We have the knowledge to provide you all the information you need, and the expertise to provide custom dry-stacked wall design, based on your specific needs.
If you are looking for a company that can provide you customized and high-quality services at very competitive garden wall cost, Fikes Design LLC is the company to contact. Speak with our experts at 828-329-8925, and discuss your project details with them.